Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Week 5 - Movie Maker



I've used movie maker a few times along with another package call Pinnacle both offer the same end product but the editing phase is a lot similar with Pinnacle. That being said though I had a lot of fun with Movie Maker and the uses of it are endless. The video I created was designed to build emotion through using the visual arts elements something that I was quite proud of when I finished.

The time line feature with Movie Maker is a fantastic way to view and edit the movie while getting an idea of how the whole thing fits together. It's not just a drag and dump program everything can be manipulated to reflect the authors personal touch.

I can see however with all of the features in Movie Maker it would be easy for the digital immigrate to get overwhelmed with everything available to them. I think the program really requires the have a go attitude for it to be used successfully. Trial and Error were a huge part of the editing process especially for the music i embed into the clip as it was only a part of a full song. I had to work on the fade in and out and make sure the music married up to the clips which took a lot of time.

Movie Maker I think we be a great tool to allow students to build an understanding of visual texts with. However as said the scaffolding and "play" time required for students to get to a level were they can manipulate the tool would need to be considered when planning the use of it within the classroom.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Justin
    I to, have used Movie Maker quite a few times for my personal use and within an educational setting. Teaching students to use this program would require a large amount of time to explore and create. It would also be the appropriate time to teach students of the ethical issues such as copyright that apply to online use of images and correctly referencing the work of others http://education.qld.gov.au/web/schools.
    This may also lead to opportunities to engage in conversation about cyber safety which is a concern amongst many stakeholders today as children may be exposed to material that is inappropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Justin
    I am one of those digital immigrates that you refer to in this post. I totally agree with you that a have ago attitude must be taken on board to get the most out of this program. However I would take it a step further and say that this sort of attitude needs to be used to make full use of most of the digital tools looked at throughout your blog. With a little bit of practice and time spent on the relevent digital tool anyone can create a great learning experience involving technology.
    Matt

    ReplyDelete