Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Week 4 - Picnik


It never ceases to amaze me the variety of software available online. Editing software for me has always been something I have avoided as the time involved in editing and the required level of editing always seems unachievable. However of all things to make this easier, it is a web based program which is free... The age old saying of its not what you know its who you know I think applies specifically to these applications. Picnik is an amazingly easy program to manipulate and more importantly it gets the outcomes required and quickly. Previously my view of editing software and its use as discussed has been timed consuming and a laborious task however after using this program I have thought about the possible benefits within my own classroom. Last week our group gave a presentation of visual literacy and their use within the 21st century classroom. After researching and discovering the multitude of theorists which prescribe visual literacy as a must for the students of today it is easy to see how using software such as picniks can be embedded within the education of visual literacy. Modifying simple things like colour and the saturation can build or change the meaning of a picture, something which I have attempted to investigate with the pictures below. I can see Picnik being a valued resource and something with which students should be scaffolded in to not only allowing them to use the resource at school but more importantly at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment